WHEN APPLYING, PLEASE INDICATE WHICH SEASON YOU ARE INTERESTED/ AVAILABLE TO WORK IN THE SUBJECT LINE (SPRING, SUMMER, OR WINTER)
Spring Season: February 7, 2014 - May 5, 2014
Summer Season: May 26 - September 15, 2014
Winter Season: November 3, 2014 - January 8, 2015
(Dates within each season will vary depeding on ship specific assignments)
• Must be able to provide quality service for a large passenger vessel that can include from over 5,000 guests including over 1,500 children in high season.
• Must be able to speak publicly and conduct games, events and other activities for a variety of age groups, from small children, to teens.
• The incumbent must be able to work in a multi-cultural environment; also, must be able to adjust to changes in schedules, assignments and deadlines.
• Extrovert, quick and critical thinker, witty, personable, and articulate.
• Must be service oriented and have the ability to take direction.
• Passionate about hospitality and customer service driven
• Must have a professional appearance and good hygiene
• Respect for all co-workers and guests
• Pride in your work by creating positive energy, excitement and fun
• Able to work 7 days a week
• Demonstrate positive behaviors; smiling, being polite and courteous
• Able to develop a camaraderie with team members
• Ability to live in close quarters, share limited space with other cabin-mates
• Associates Degree and/or currently enrolled in an accredited college degree program or foreign equivalent in a course of study related or relevant to childcare is required.
• Current and active CPR/First Aid Certifications from a recognized educational institution are required.
• Minimum of one year experience in a combination of programming and implementing youth recreation, youth sports, and/or childhood education for ages 2-17 required.
• Minimum one year experience in programming and implementing theatrical/drama related activities is required.
• One year experience with special needs programming strongly preferred.
• Intermediate verbal and writing skills in at least one other language such as German, Spanish, French or Italian is preferred.
• Intermediate to Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
• Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook) is required.
• One year experience communicating via microphone, using/programming DJ and light/sound equipment is preferred.
• Unique hobbies are a plus: to include but are not limited to: Juggling, Theater, Gymnastics, Sports, Dance, Singing.
Under the direction of the Youth Program Supervisor, the Seasonal Youth Counselor is responsible for the supervision and control of all youth and teen activities as it relates to the Passenger Programs and Entertainment Department
• Youth Counselors must be passionate about working with children and embrace the Norwegian Mission.
• As a member of the Cruise Staff, the youth counselors are responsible for implementing any of the scheduled social, entertainment, sporting, recreational, theatrical, and craft programs/activities for Norwegian Guests aged 2 – 17 years old while ensuring that each activity takes place safely and promptly as scheduled.
• Youth Counselors must be comfortable speaking on a microphone and be an effective Host/Hostess with the ability to engage large groups of people of a variety of ages in a public venue.
• Youth Counselors must be comfortable with dressing up in costume and performing character roles.
• Youth Counselors must be comfortable speaking with parents/adults regarding general ship information as well as Youth Program policies and guidelines.
• Youth Counselor should have organizational/administrative skills and be attentive to detail when involved with reporting youth program operations and safety.
• It is the responsibility of the youth counselor to be accessible to and approachable with guests, both young and old. He/She must be a patient listener and offer hospitality service to the guests even when the situation falls outside of the Youth Programs.
• The youth counselor assists with maintenance of storage, inventory and ordering of all equipment, supplies, gifts and prizes, which are specifically utilized in the programs.
• Each youth counselor must have the ability to work as a team member in cooperation with other cruise staff members, as well as with all other shipboard departments.
• Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
• Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
• While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk, hear, taste and smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
• Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
• Able to pass basic safety course.
• This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.
To apply send your resume to email@example.com. Subject Heading should include: SYC2014 & Season you are interested in working: Spring, Summer, or Winter.
Tours with this activity level involve walking over relatively level terrain, possibly some cobblestone, gravel, or a few steps. Comfortable shoes are recommended.
Tours with this activity level involve a considerable amount of physical activity such as substantial walking over cobblestone streets, uneven or steep terrain, climbing stairs, or extended periods of standing. Not recommended for guests with physical limitations. Comfortable, sturdy shoes are recommended.
Tours with this activity level involve physical exertion for extended periods of time; can involve uneven or steep terrain or swimming in a light current. Recommended only for physically fit and adventurous travelers.