The Sous Chef’s primary responsibility is to assist with the management of an assigned galley for either Norwegian Cruise Line or Orient Lines, to ensure that the line's high standards are achieved and maintained within budgetary limitations. Is seen as an inspirational role model by his/her employees. Is a top professional in the field with a passion for the Culinary arts.
This includes all practices, procedures, training and guest satisfaction levels. A procedural approach to managing the entire onboard galley department must be employed, utilizing modern management principles as well as incorporating technological innovations where practical in order to deliver top quality guest service.
• Ability to manage change effectively
• Ability to conceptualize the mission
• Provide leadership to the departments to achieve their goals and objectives
• Communicate the goals and objectives and inspire employees to achieve those goals
• Clear, concise written and verbal communication skills
• Experience making presentations in front of groups
• Ability to clearly and concisely present technical subjects
• Demonstrate team building experience
• Track record promoting an atmosphere of teamwork
• Demonstrate to lead by example
• Build morale and spirit
• Use a “hands-on” approach to management
• Abilities to inspire, train, and develop people for promotion
• Experience communicating, training, and managing multi-lingual staffs
• Instill a guest service attitude in all employees
• Experience training and developing employees with limited education/experience
• Instill a “can-do” attitude in employees
• Coach employees how to resolve and de-escalate conflicts
• Instill a calm, organized approach in all situations
• Excellent time management skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong customer service orientation and skills
• Excellent listening skills
• Exceptional detail in follow-up
• Strong budgetary, projections, and cost control skills
• Ability to produce consistent profits
• Follow/enforce company policies and procedures
• Resolve problems
• Assume responsibility/accountability
• Excellent safety, sanitation and environmental skills
• Provide overall direction, coordination, and ongoing evaluation of operations
• Ability to quickly evaluate alternatives and decide on a plan of action
• Think creatively
• Teach suggestive selling techniques
• Juggle and balance needs of the organization
• BA/BS 2-3 year Culinary degree or foreign equivalency and/or 5 years of culinary management experience
• Certificate of completion from a recognized culinary institution
• Advanced Certification in Sanitation and Public Health
• Minimum of three years experience as a Sous Chef in a large size cruise ship or multi-venue, high volume, luxury hotel or resort.
• Excellent cooking and demonstration skills
• Solid progression through the culinary ranks
• Has the ability to taste all foods to assure correct preparation
• Must have knowledge and experience of 3 of the 7 listed specialties:
- High volume 3 meal restaurants
- French restaurant
- Italian restaurant
- Tex-Mex restaurant
- American Steakhouse restaurant
- High volume banquet operations and presentations
- Modern buffet operations to include set-up and action stations.
• Has a good understanding of butcher operations (specification guidelines for meat, fish, seafood and poultry)
• Experience implementing new food concepts and menus
• Demonstrated knowledge of beverage products and the ability to pair wines with cuisine
• Track record of successfully managing food cost and inventory control
• Establish and maintain proper inventories
• Good computer skills to include spreadsheets, word processing and e-mail
• Excellent knowledge of USPH/FDA regulations
• Lead by example utilizing a “hands-on” approach to management.
• Establish and develop a highly motivated, pro-active galley team with the highest ethical standards that delivers a cost effective and quality oriented service product.
• Facilitate an environment in which crew members are comfortable utilizing the open-door policy.
• Assist with scheduling galley crew members based off of guidelines established by the Corporate Office and the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Assist with reviewing time clock reports to ensure accuracy of pay for crew members.
• Ensure that galley crew members are being treated in a fair and equitable manner.
• Ensure that galley crew member issues are resolved in a timely manner.
• Ensure that galley crew members are in compliance with the grooming and uniform standards of the company.
• Attend and participate in the weekly Galley Management meeting.
• Assist with scheduling and preparing for the monthly departmental meeting with all of the culinary management and crew. Attendance and participation is also mandatory. This meeting is not to exceed 1 hour in length. Minutes of this meeting are to be recorded by the Chef’s Personal Assistant. Copies of the minutes are to be sent to the F&B Director and Corporate Chef.
• Effectively communicate with the staff through daily line-ups and monthly meetings. These meetings are to have a set agenda and not be held during meal periods.
• Provide continuous training to the crew on classical cooking techniques (mother sauces, stocks, etc.) as well as on Company established recipes and menu grids.
• Ensure cross-training between galleys is in place.
• Continue own education by staying abreast of trends and new cooking techniques, and sharing this information with the team.
• Monitor the performance of all galley staff to ensure that their duties are carried out in accordance with Company policy, and safety and environmental regulations.
• Monitor galley crew member performance. Identify strengths and weaknesses and provide timely feedback to the individual. Make recommendations to the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef regarding succession planning.
• Ensure that crew members are being recognized for their accomplishments.
• Coach and counsel employees in a timely manner and in accordance with Company policy.
• Ensure that performance evaluations of all galley personnel are carried out as per Company policy in a fair and equitable manner, based on actual performance and results achieved.
• Ensure that employee promotions/transfers are handled according to Company policy.
• Communicate staffing needs to the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef as needed.
• Ensure crew messes are neat and clean and that a quality product is offered.
• Monitor crew turnover and implement plans to decrease.
• Ensure that you are knowledgeable of the goals of the company and department and the action plans that will be followed to achieve these goals.
• Communicate the goals of the company and department and the action plans to the crew members.
• Develop a positive working relationship with all shipboard departments to facilitate a team oriented atmosphere.
• Ensure that all departments within F&B are working together as a team and supporting each other in a professional manner.
• Regularly communicate with the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef in regards to galley related matters.
• Complete daily walk-through of assigned area with the Executive Sous Chef.
• Ensure that assigned galley is maintained in accordance with Company policy, USPH, SEMS and safety and environmental regulations.
• Ensure that cleaning schedules are in place and being followed for assigned galley.
• Ensure that service schedules for equipment are in place and being followed.
• Submit work orders for repairs to galleys and/or equipment and follow up on these requests to ensure timely completion.
• Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and SEMS. Conduct daily USPH inspections of all F&B areas with the F&B management team when needed.
• Ensure that the company’s standards are maintained in the following areas:
o Freestyle service and dining experience
o Galley service, operation and philosophy
o Restaurant service, operation and philosophy
o Public health
o Crew assigned to the galley department
o General standards in the galley department
o Quality control of all food product
o Planning and organizing operations for assigned galley
• Enforce Company standards for consistent, quality service.
• Ensure that the F&B department achieves satisfactory guest satisfaction ratings on a consistent basis.
• Enforce policies and procedures in a fair and equitable manner.
• Continuously review the operation and make recommendations on how to enhance the product to the Executive Chef and Executive Sous Chef.
• Implement new policies, standard operating procedures and Company initiatives as assigned.
• Always be available on the floor to assist crew and to interact with guests. This is to be accomplished by visiting tables during meal periods.
• Assist with scheduling crew members according to business levels and monitor overtime.
• Enforce cost control procedures and monitor waste and breakage.
• Ensure that guest complaints are dealt with in a timely, professional manner and in accordance with Company policy.
• Maintain an outlet log and review this information on a frequent basis with the Executive Sous Chef.
• Complete reports in a timely manner (meal count report, waste logs, production sheets, daily checklists, etc.) and forward them to the Executive Sous Chef.
• Assist with reviewing all ship generated reports to identify areas of deficiency and to determine appropriate courses of action to correct.
• Properly plan and prepare for events and cruises.
• Assist with developing and maintaining par stocks for food product and equipment.
• Review all food requisitions and food purchase orders before submitting to the Executive Sous Chef for approval.
• Order for assigned galley based on consumption history and par levels.
• Conduct inventories on a weekly basis in accordance with Company policy.
• Ensure that food items delivered to the vessel are in compliance with Company specifications.
• Monitor slow moving item reports to ensure that discontinued items are not being reordered.
• Responsible for ensuring that assigned galley operates within the established budgetary guidelines for the vessel.
• Plan orders for the vessel based off of the budgetary guidelines.
• Assist with reviewing all food and beverage related costs and consumptions in accordance with financial targets.
• Submit budget requests to the Executive Sous Chef in a timely manner.
• Special Job Requirements:
o Ability to work odd hours and on weekends and holidays
o Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
o Able to work 7 days a week for a minimum period of 16 weeks
o Ability to live in close quarters, possible share limited space with other cabin-mates
• While performing the essential functions of this job, all team members are required to stand; walk long distances on the ship; use hands to touch, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell. All vessel positions require repetitive motion of bending, climbing, going up and down stairs and lifting more than 25 pounds. This job requires specific vision abilities to include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• All team members must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. All vessel positions require full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats.
• Work within different temperature changes—indoors to outdoors.
• Able to pass basic safety course.
• This is a minimal description of duties. Other work requirements may be necessary and assigned as business or maritime law dictates.