Process timely and accurate shipside payroll processes. Establish and implement payroll controls and procedures, while ensuring all payroll transactions adhere to company policies and government regulations.
Associates degree in Accounting; Bachelors degree in Accounting preferred or any combination of education and/or experience.
Minimum five years of accounting and/or payroll experience or relevant shipside experience with 1-5 years of shore based accounting and payroll experience.
Comprehensive knowledge of all union and employment agreements. Strong mathematical and analytical abilities. Advanced Excel skills. Knowledge of payroll processes and systems such as PeopleSoft HR and Financials. Superior verbal and written communication skills to effectively interact with all levels.
- Establishes payroll controls and procedures and ensures standardization of such.
- Recommends alternative methods for enhancing current functionality/processes and assists with the implementation of new policies and procedures for payroll operations.
- Records expenses and liabilities into the general ledger using established upload processes.
- Processes and maintains bank account reimbursements to ensure accurate cash accounting and control to include bank statements, positive pay and ACH data.
- Prepares and processes payment of payroll taxes and other payroll deductions such as life insurance, United Way, garnishments, union dues etc.
- Processes and maintains account reconciliations and tax filings for state and federal, as well as local tax filings.
- Prepares and reconciles W2s and the annual federal and social security reconcilement for all shipside team members.
- Reconciles medical/pension plan invoices, system-generated payroll journal entries, payroll liability accounts, General Ledger accounts to ensure accuracy.
- Audits payroll expenses to ensure the accuracy of entries and adherence to budget guidelines.
- Identify, test and implement system improvements, upgrades, and/or procedural changes resulting in increased efficiency and/or cost reductions; Updates system and operational manuals as necessary.
- Reviews, researches and resolves employment contract payroll issues or payroll related inquiries from shipside team members in a timely manner.
- Perform other duties as assigned.