Duration 8 1/2 hrs
See the innovative solar and wind installations on Tilos that made it the first island in the Mediterranean to be fully powered by green energy. A ferry will bring you to the island, where you will see the hybrid power station that stores the renewable energy in batteries. Although Tilos is small with only about 500 residents, it has made a huge impact in encouraging other places to follow its lead in sustainable energy. You will meet the mayor and other officials that supported the project from the beginning and learn how they ensured its success. Tilos once bought its oil-based electricity from the nearby island of Kos; it now plans to sell its excess green energy back to Kos. Being completely powered by renewable energy has allowed Tilos to become more self-sufficient, have greater stability and make a smaller ecological footprint.
• See how Tilos became the first island in the Mediterranean fully powered by green energy.
• Visit the solar and wind power station that supplies the island’s renewable energy.
• Talk to the mayor and other officials that helped Tilos develop its sustainable energy plan.
• Dress in weather-appropriate clothing.
• Wear flat comfortable walking shoes.
- Adult from: AUD$685.94 AUD
- Child from: AUD$685.94 AUD