Duration 2 days/1 Night
Explore the beauty and mystery of Egypt’s ancient temples and tombs during this memorable journey to Luxor. Along the way, you will visit the Karnak, Luxor and Hatshepsut Temples, Colossi of Memnon, and the Valley of the Kings.
Note: Due to the amount of walking over uneven terrain and steps at the tombs, this program is not recommended for guests with walking difficulty or those who utilize a wheelchair, walker or scooter.
Upon disembarking the ship in Safaga, you will be met and depart for the 3.5-hour drive to Luxor. Upon arrival a stop will be made for lunch after which you will visit the Karnak Temple. Located about two miles north of the Luxor Temple, but connected to it by an impressive avenue of sphinxes, the Karnak Temple was the most important sanctuary of ancient Egypt, and the heart of the cult of the god Amon. Each pharaoh added his own contribution to the temple over the ensuing 2,000 years.
The Ptolemies erected the massive first pylon you will see. Past the second pylon, which is guarded by a pair of huge statues of Ramses II, you will find the great hypo-style hall, the largest hall of any temple in the world. It spans 50,000 square feet and contains 134 enormous columns. You may notice that some of the columns still have traces of the brilliant paint that originally covered them.
The third pylon leads to the center court, and past the fourth pylon is the 97-foot-high obelisk of Queen Hatshepsut, carved from a solid piece of pink granite. As you pass through successive pylons and courts, you will journey back in time until you reach the oldest part of the temple, built by the pharaohs of the middle kingdom around 2000 B.C.
At the south end of the temple, you will find the sacred lake where ceremonial boats took part in the worship of Amon. Cameras and video cameras are permitted inside the Karnak Temple free of charge.
Next, you will tour the renowned Luxor Temple, which was originally built during the reign of Amenophis the III and then expanded by Ramses II, who added a statue of himself and two obelisks. Today, only one of the statues remains at the Luxor Temple; Mohamed Ali gave the other one to Louis Philippe in 1831 and it is displayed at the Concorde in Paris.
After Alexander the Great rebuilt the sanctuary in the 4th century B.C., the Romans subsequently rebuilt portions of it, and then the Muslims built a mosque in the temple. Cameras and video cameras are permitted inside the Luxor Temple.
Following your visit to the Luxor Temple, you will be transferred to your hotel for check in.
In the evening, you will depart for a spectacular sound and light show at the Karnak Temple. It’s an amazing performance that traces the history of Thebes, including the lives of the pharaohs who built the necropolis. Afterwards, you will return to your hotel for dinner and to spend the evening.
Dinner will be served at the hotel from 7:00pm to 10:00pm. Guests attending the Sound and Light Show will dine following the show.
Following a buffet breakfast, you will cross over the Nile to the West Bank to visit the Valley of the Kings, hidden in the foothills of the Gourma Mountains. More than 60 tombs of pharaohs and noblemen have been excavated in this valley. The kings’ formal names and titles are inscribed in their tombs, along with their images and statues. Between the 18th and 20th dynasties, the kings abandoned the Memphis area and built their tombs in Thebes. During your time here, you will receive a ticket valid for entry to up to three tombs of your choice. Cameras may now be used inside the tombs for a fee and can be paid directly to the guide.
there are a series of steps (up to approximately 20 steps per chamber) to go down into the various tombs and the ground surrounding the tombs is uneven and dusty. It is also extremely hot here.
Continuing, enjoy a photo stop at the Hatshepsut Temple, whose unique design features a series of grand terraces extending up a cliff with rows of square granite columns blending in with the mountainside. From here you will proceed for a visit to Medinet Habu. Built by Ramses III, this temple is among the most interesting of the funerary chapels on the West Bank. The reliefs on both sides of the doorway depict battle scenes of Ramses III.
After your visit to Medinet Habu, a photo stop will be made at the Colossi of Memnon. This structure was originally built as a mortuary temple in Thebes and guarded by two gigantic statues on the outer gates. All that remains today are the 75-foot-high, 1,000-ton statues of Amenhotep III. Though damaged by nature and ancient tourists, the statues are still impressive nonetheless. Cameras and video cameras are permitted free of charge.
Enjoy a buffet lunch back at your hotel before you depart for the 3.5-hour drive back to Safaga to re-embark the ship.
Land Program Step by Step:
Please note: The order of sites visited may vary to avoid congestion. All program details and the timings indicated below are approximate, given here for general reference purposes and subject to change.
Final itineraries with the most up to date details will be provided by the Shore Excursion Team once you board the ship. Please review your final itinerary carefully for any amendments.
• AM The ship arrives alongside in Safaga, Egypt • 8:30am Disembark and proceed to the port terminal for security screening • 9:00am Depart for the drive to Luxor. The drive is approximately 3.5 hours. Restrooms are available on the bus. No comfort stop is scheduled
• 12:30pm Buffet lunch at a deluxe hotel. Beverages include bottled water, tea and coffee
• 1:30pm Proceed to Karnak Temple
• 1:45pm Visit Karnak Temple
• 3:30pm Proceed to Luxor Temple
• 3:45pm Visit Luxor Temple
• 4:45pm Proceed to your hotel for check in
• 5:00pm Check in; Optional shopping with your guide
• 7:30pm Proceed to Karnak Temple
• 8:00pm Sound and light show
• 9:00pm Drive back to the hotel
• 9:30pm Buffet dinner is served. Beverages include bottled water, tea and coffee, one glass of local wine or one bottle of local beer
• Buffet dinner will be served from 7:00pm to 10:00pm for those who opt out of the show
• Overnight at the Sonesta St. George Hotel or similar hotel in Luxor
• 7:00am Buffet breakfast at the hotel
• 8:00am Cross the Nile to the west bank
• 8:45am Visit the Valley of the Kings
• The ticket you receive will include entry to three tombs of your choice
• 10:15am Proceed to Hatshepsut temple
• 10:30am Photo stop at Hatshepsut temple
• 10:40am Proceed to Habu Temple
• 10:45am Visit Habu Temple
• 11:30am Proceed to Colossi of Memnon
• 11:35am Photo stop at Colossi of Memnon
• 11:40am Back to your hotel
• 12:15pm Lunch and check out
• 1:30pm Drive back to Safaga. The drive is approximately 3.5 hours. Restrooms are available on the bus. No comfort stop is scheduled.
• 5:00pm Arrive back in Safaga and rejoin the ship
Temperatures in Luxor average about 30°C / 86°F
What to bring:
Comfortable clothing, good walking shoes, camera, hat, sunscreen
Egyptian Pound but USD are widely accepted
220- 240 V. Adaptors are not available therefore we suggest you bring your own travel adaptor should you require it.
A carry-on size piece of luggage is suggested for this one night stay
Sonesta St. George Luxor Hotel Gazirat Al Awameyah, Luxor, Luxor Governorate, Egypt Phone: +20 95 2382575
*We only substitute hotels in unforeseen situations. If a similar hotel is substituted, it will be of equal ratings and standards. If you are not notified of any changes before your sailing, then you will be staying at the hotel listed in the program.
• Passports must be brought with you on the program
• Visas are not required for US, EU and Canadian Citizens
• Please check your local Egyptian Embassy for further information
• 1 night at the Sonesta St. George Luxor or similar (Run of House Room)
• One breakfast, two lunches and one dinner
• Bottled water, tea, coffee, one soda or one bottle of beer/one glass of local wine with meals
• Entrance fees
• English-speaking guide throughout the program
One room is included in the per person single or double cost of this program and will be assigned for any bookings up to 2 guests regardless of cabin size on the ship. If additional bedding or rooms are required for this program, please contact Norwegian Cruise Line in advance of travel to request and price accordingly. Requests must be received at least 65 days before departure and confirmations will be based on availability at the time of request.
• Gratuities for drivers and guides
• Personal expenses and hotel incidentals including mini bar and room service
• Any meals or beverages not listed above
• Any other discounts or promos offered by NCL including but not limited to Latitude and Free at Sea discounts
Please note: Land programs that encompass multiple days ashore customarily include extensive and prolonged activity, while those of shorter durations typically have more moderate activity levels. However, each program varies, and participants should be prepared to negotiate a mixture of surfaces which may include inclines, cobblestones, sand and gravel or natural paths. There may also be a need to climb steps or stairs on occasion. Guests who utilize a wheelchair and those with mobility concerns are advised to check with the cruise line in advance to see if any portion of the tour program may not be considered suitable for their individual situation. Weather appropriate clothing, hats, sunglasses, and flat, comfortable walking shoes are generally recommended.
All land programs are capacity controlled and subject to availability. Programs falling under the minimum number of required participants are subject to cancellation. Pricing listed is also subject to change to meet unexpected cost increases for transportation, land arrangements or currency fluctuations. Not combinable with any other discounts or promos including but not limited to Latitude and Free at Sea discounts.
Once purchased, pricing is guaranteed and not subject to change. Mid-cruise overland programs must be purchased no later than 60 days prior to your sail date. Cancellations made within 60 days or less prior to the sail date are subject to 100% cancellation penalty.
- Adultos desde: €568,04 EUR
- Niños desde: €568,04 EUR