What are passport and Visa requirements?

Guests are responsible for ensuring they fulfil all passport and visa requirements for all countries visited during the cruise and when travelling to and from the port of embarkation/disembarkation. EU citizens need a full e-passport issued by an EU member state (also applicable for children of any age). A passport is also required for all European sailings (exception: citizens of Schengen States cruising on itineraries that do not leave EU territory).

The US Visa Waiver Programme (VWP) enables eligible citizens and nationals of designated countries to travel to the US for tourism amd business stays of 90 days or less without first obtaining a visa. Travellers who do not qualify for the VWP must obtain a visa to travel to the United States. Should you need to obtain a visa, please be sure to apply for a multiple entry visa.

The Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) is effective for citizens and eligible nationals of VWP countries to apply for advance authorisation to travel to the United States under the VWP. ESTA stipulates that all Visa Waiver Programme travellers are required to obtain via the internet (https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov) an electronic travel authorisation prior to boarding a carrier to travel by air or sea to the U.S. under the VWP. Countries currently enroled in the VWP include the UK, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal and Sweden, amongst others but not all EU member states. ESTA authorisations are valid for multiple entries within two years (or less if the passport expires during this period). Please note that U.S. authorities will charge a fee of US$ 14 per person (status: May 2019) for travel authorisation. This fee has to be paid by credit card during the application process. Additional information regarding the VWP and ESTA is available at www.cbp.gov/esta. For U.S.-bound Atlantic Crossings, we strongly advise guests to print out their ESTA before travelling, as this is a requirement at check-in before you can board the ship.

All travellers (including children) must have an e-passport to use the Visa Waiver Programme. An e-Passport, denoted by the respective symbol, is an enhanced secure passport with an embedded electronic chip. E-Passports are issued by the proper passport issuing authority and must meet international standards for securing and storing information corresponding to the passport and bearer. More information can be found on https://www.cbp.gov/.

Please be aware that immigration and visa regulations are subject to change. For current information, please visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas.html or check with your travel agent and the respective embassies or consulates. The information above refers to the status at the time of printing. It is assumed that the traveller is a citizen of a Visa Waiver country. For all citizens of non-Visa Waiver countries, you will have to check individual treaties between your state and the U.S. Government and whether you have to apply for a special tourist visa with the U.S. embassy of your home state. Please consider that the application for a visa could take up to three months. To check participation of your state in the Visa Waiver Programme please refer to https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/frequently-asked-questions-about-visa-waiver-program-vwp-and-electronic-system-travel.

Similarly to the U.S. VWP, since October 15, 2016, Canada requires visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or via Canada to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) prior to travel for a fee of CAD 7 per person. The ETA is valid for multiple entries within five years (or less if the passport expires during this period). For information please visit www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit.

All travellers who are not citizens of a VWP country please check your individual passport and immigration / visa requirements with your travel agent and the respective embassies or consulates. Personal circumstances cannot be considered. We will try within our means to inform you of the applicable requirements. During most cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line personnel will need to retain your passport. You therefore have to carry a second government-issued photo ID with you at all times. It is the sole responsibility of the guest to provide all necessary documentation. Guests are not entitled to a refund if entry into any foreign territory or boarding is denied by immigration officials or Norwegian Cruise Line personnel for lack of proper documents.

The American Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has implemented the Secure Flight Programme for international air traffic. This programme intends to reduce the instances of misidentification of the travel authorised passengers to the U.S. as well as to enhance the security of air travel. Within this programme, all airlines commit to transmit the following Secure Flight Passenger Data (SFPD) from travellers which are arriving in and/or departing from the U.S. to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security: Full name as per valid government-issued passport (including middle name, initials), date of birth, gender and Redress Number (if applicable). Therefore we ask all guests to check their confirmation carefully. In case of any incorrect data appearing on the confirmation, please contact our reservations department. If there is no client data available at the time of booking, Norwegian Cruise Line will use the data from the Online Check-In. For further information on the Secure Flight Programme please visit http://www.tsa.gov/secureflight. Providing the Secure Flight Data does not release you from the obligation to apply for the advanced authorisation to travel to the U.S. under the ESTA programme programme or to obtain a visa if the VWP does not apply to your visit.

A visa is required for some of our destinations in Asia, Australia & New Zealand visited on your cruise. The relevant information can be found here: CIBTvisas (http://cibtvisas.de/leisure-eu-splash). The required visas can be requested via the visa and passport service provider CIBTvisas (http://cibtvisas.de/leisure-eu-splash). If you would like to explore St. Petersburg individually, you can also request the corresponding visa via CIBTvisas. Additionally, all cruise guests sailing from a U.S. port to Cuba require a Cuban visa which needs to be obtained prior to your cruise. Please ask at time of booking or contact CIBTvisas. In all cases a fee applies. For cruises to Cuba, guests also need to document that they fulfil the requirements concerning cultural exchanges by completing a self-certification form which must be received by Norwegian Cruise Line at least 3 days prior to the cruise departure. To access the electronic version of the certification form please refer to https://ncl.secure.force.com/CubaTravelAffidavit. Guests will not be able to board the vessel without having first completed the certification form. Guests are responsible for ensuring they are in possession of all relevant documentation and visas for the entire cruise itinerary including all ports of call.

Customs allowances may vary depending on the itinerary. Please check on board, with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs or with the respective customs authorities for the most up-to-date information.

What time do I board the ship on embarkation day and in ports of call?

What about special dietary needs?

What is My NCL, and what are eDocs?

What about currency and how do I pay for my extras on board?

What is a guarantee stateroom?

Will I need travel insurance?

What about guests with reduced mobility, disabilities or medical conditions?

What is Online Check-In?

What are NCL's age requirements?

What does the cruise fare include?

Do I need to get vaccinated before departure? What are the vaccinations required?

What clothes should I pack?

How to honour good service?

When can I pre-book Dining and Entertainment?

How can I book a transfer from the airport to the pier?

Back To Top