Provence (Marseille), France
Duration 8 1/2 hrs
Become familiar with the efforts of local fishermen to improve their methods and increase the industry’s sustainability. While following a seasoned fisherman around the Old Port of Marseille, you will learn some of the issues affecting the profession. The challenges include water pollution, climate change, over-fishing and even poachers taking endangered species from no-fishing zones. Fishing nets create another problem, as they are often lost, discarded, or abandoned at sea, yet they still continue to unintentionally trap marine creatures in a practice known as ghost fishing. As the fisherman will explain, using biodegradable nets is just one way the industry can protect the marine environment and improve the profession. Feel free to ask questions about what’s being done to raise awareness of the issues and provide acceptable solutions. As a memento, you will receive a cube of green diver’s soap made with olive oil in an eco-responsible way and wrapped in biodegradable packaging.
• Discover some of ecological issues that fishermen face and how they are being addressed.
• Follow a veteran fisherman around the Old Port for a candid look at the profession.
• Receive a bar of diver’s soap made in an eco-friendly way as a memento.
• Dress in weather-appropriate clothing.
• Wear flat comfortable walking shoes.
- Adult from: $129.00 USD
- Child from: $129.00 USD