Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.
How much are the service charges?
For bookings made prior to April 1st, 2019, that prepay their service charges before their sail date:
- $17.50 USD per person per day for The Haven, Concierge and Suites;
- $14.50 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types
For bookings made on or after April 1, 2019 or for sailings April 1, 2019 and beyond whose service charges have not been prepaid:
$18 USD per person per day for The Haven, Concierge and Suites
$15 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types
For bookings made on or after April 1, 2020, that prepay their service charges before their sail date:
- $18.50 USD per person per day for The Haven, Concierge and Suites;
- $15.50 USD per person per day for all other stateroom types
Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax
Are service charges across the board for all guests?
All guests 3 years or older.
How do I prepay my service charges?
Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.
At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?
They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.
Why would I prepay my service charges?
The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.
If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?
Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable.
If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board?
Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.
The currency used on board our ships is the U.S. $. We’ve made paying for on-board expenses very easy. When you check in you open a shipboard account by registering a major credit card such as VISA®, MasterCard® or American Express. If you prefer to pay by cash or traveller’s cheques, a suggested deposit for a 7-night cruise is US $ 300 per person, US $ 150 per person for cruises up to 6 nights or US $ 450 per person for cruises of 8 nights and more at check-in (subject to change). Then, you simply sign for your personal expenses as you go and they will be charged to your account.
Important: When your credit card is entered to activate your on-board account, an initial approval is obtained from the bank. Please be advised that some banks may hold the pre-authorisation for up to 30 days. Throughout the voyage incremental holds will be obtained based on your on-board expenditure. This will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card or restrict the availability of cash in your bank account.
Currency exchange, at prevailing rates, is available on some cruises. Travelers checks and most major credit cards are accepted in the ports we visit. Proper ID is required when cashing travelers checks. We recommend you carry a small amount of local currency when visiting foreign ports, although credit cards are commonly accepted in shops and restaurants.
Norwegian Cruise Line has introduced an enhanced room service menu. The new menu offers an expanded selection for breakfast, in addition to a wider variety of options available 24 hours. Individual items on the menu remain available on a complimentary basis and a convenience charge of up to $9.95 USD will be added to each order placed (Morning coffee, continental breakfast and orders placed by guests sailing in The Haven will not attract a charge)*. A 20% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added for non-complimentary beverages and special occasion items. Room service is one of up to 29 dining options offered across the fleet, and guests continue to be able to enjoy a wide array of complimentary choices onboard 24 hours a day.
*Prices subject to change.
- Transportation to some of the most beautiful places on earth via cruise ship
- Dedicated Kids & Teen (ages 3-17) programming & spaces during at sea days until 10:30 pm and from departure until 10:30 pm during port days
- Meals in one of our many complimentary dining venues
- 24-hour Dining venue (on select ships)
- Room service menu items (convenience charge may apply)
- Outdoor Buffet (on select ships)
- Pool Bar and Grill (on select ships)
- Coffee Bar (regular coffee and pastries included, specialty coffees at nominal extra charge)
- Iced Tea, some juices in the buffet (for breakfast), regular coffee, tea and ice water
- All entertainment onboard (with the exception of dinner and lunch theater entertainment)
- Art Auctions
- Poolside activities
- Access to fitness facilities
- Select onboard presentations
- Sports Court activities
- Use of outdoor pools and hot tubs
- In-stateroom TV programming (except for on-demand movies)
- Phone calls onboard the ship (stateroom to stateroom)
- Use of private Studio Lounge if staying in Studio accommodations on Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Epic, Pride of America, Norwegian Getaway and Norwegian Escape
- Suite Guests receive additional amenities, based on the category of accommodation.
The following items are not included in the cruise fare:
- Service Charges/Gratuities
- Meals in Specialty Restaurants
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Sodas and some other non-alcoholic beverages
- Spa and Salon Services
- Exercise classes
- Dining Entertainment
- Transfers (unless pre-purchased with air/sea packages)
- Hotel Stays pre-/post-cruise (unless pre-purchased)
- Shore Excursions
- Internet Access
- Baby Sitting Services
- Specialty Onboard Seminars
- Art purchases
- Gift shop purchases
- Video Arcade
- Phone calls off the ship
- Wi/Fi & Satellite connection for tablets, phones/mobile devices
- Laundry Services
- Use of the Medical Center
- Government taxes, port expenses, and fees
- Convenience Charge for Room Service (does not apply to The Haven and Norwegian Suites)
For your convenience, all shipboard expenses are charged to your Onboard account. Sign up when you check in, establishing your method of payment with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, JCB Card, Diner's Club. You may also use your debit card however please be advised that we obtain pre-authorization, as we do for all Credit Cards, and some banks hold these funds for up to 30 days. The maximum initial pre-authorization amount for all credit and debit cards is $300. Cash can also be used as a method of payment to settle your account with an initial deposit paid in advance.
Using your debit or ATM card
- Norwegian does not recommend the use of a debit card as payment for your onboard folio.
- Please be advised that multiple holds will be placed on your debit card account based on your onboard purchases.
- After settling your onboard folio, these debit card holds may remain on your account up to 30 days after the cruise ends.
- To avoid overdraft charges from your bank, please make sure that you have enough available funds in your account during this hold period.
- Norwegian will not be responsible for overdraft charges resulting from holds placed on Debit Card accounts.
Traveler’s Check / Cash Procedures
A cash deposit may be placed on your onboard account in the following amounts:
7 day cruises - $300 USD per person
Less than 7 days - $150 USD per person
More than 7 days - $450 USD per person
Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess.
**Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed on board.